Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cafe Sabotage

The Weaver family cup of coffee has had a long evolution. It would make the most conservative coffee creationist believe in the 'missing drink', as it were. What we drink now looks, tastes, or acts like nothing we drank way back when. I've had myriad cups of gas station swill, family restaurant chasers with breakfast and even Uncle Bud's hazlenut-flavored water. But since arriving in California the origin of the coffee species has been written out of the cafe chalkboards. I will concede that the Evil Empire will produce a caffeinated iced coffee to send you into convulsions, thus forgetting the well-done BBQ hack job they call roasting, but I have yet to find anywhere else where paying for coffee merits enjoyment return on that hard-earned buck. Sorry, guys. Maybe it's something in the water.

3 comments:

theolsons said...

How do you find the missing drink? Perhaps you can instill the magic recipe upon those with less knowledge and experience such as myself?

Ian Batstone said...

why did you buy iced coffee? You spend more for something with less coffee and a bunch of freezer flavoured ice. What a rip off. I still maintain that McDonalds HOT coffee is a drinkable cup. Especially for its price. LA has better coffee than San Diego as well. Don't judge California by the extreme southern end of our great state.

The Weaver Olsons said...

Said the guy who keeps his coffee in the freezer. If the L.A. coffee standard is set by McDonalds I feel my case couldn't have been made more true by my own words. Thanks, Yiyan!